Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Meeting #7: Anthropology of an American Girl



Where we met: Sarah's adorable apartment overlooking the river

What we ate: amazing apps, including apples and goat cheese (or was it bre?) on french bread, carved out zucchini boats with veggies (and what else was in there?), and the tastiest crab cake ever!!! (Sarah, post the recipe!). I know I am forgetting a few items. Someone want to fill that in?

What we drank: I think they were mimosas! Classic : )

What we read: Anthropology of an American Girl (obviously)

What we discussed: How the book was more like looking at a painting than reading a novel.
That was my favorite take-away idea from the meeting. Anyone want to fill in what kept them thinking after the meeting was over? We talked for a pretty long time - perhaps the longest yet? Most of us didn't particularly enjoy the book, but after the meeting most of us agreed that had we discussed the book while reading it, perhaps we could've enjoyed it more.

Those of you who couldn't make it, want to fill us in on your particular thoughts? Hannah, I remember you mentioned you had an opinion on the word "anthropology". I am curious to know what that is! Of course everyone is busy so if you don't have time that's fine. Just thought I'd make it easy for people to participate here if they want to.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying The Accidental Tourist!

-Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, Carolyn! I can't help but notice how tan we look in that picture... that will sadly be changing soon.

    Sarah knows how to make appetizers- the food was outstanding. No one makes crab cakes like Sarah, weren't they amazing? The salmon was perfection (as well). What was the salmon on? Was it a cracker? No. Bread? No... Whatever it was, I loved it! Sarah, did you make whatever the salmon was served on?

    Oh, and I think the drinks were beerrittas! Right? I know there was beer in there!

    The conversation really helped me make more sense of the book. Thank you ladies for all of your insight! Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was from me, Marit... I have so many google accounts now I can't keep them all straight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I was wondering who The Technology Integrationists was! Although I should've guessed really. I had no idea there was beer in there! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, and that was carolyn. i need to sign out of the bookettes, oops.

    ReplyDelete